Saturday, December 17, 2016

Christner Gingerbread House Making

Last night, the high school basketball games got canceled due to weather.  Roarie was so excited in the thought of going.  She kept asking the kids in her preschool class to raise their hands if they were going to go to the basketball game.  The preschool teachers didn't have the heart to tell her that game was canceled, so they left that up to me to do.

When I broke the news to Roarie, she got a bird perch of a lip.  I told her that if she asked daddy real nice maybe he will let us go to Dollar General then get a gingerbread house kit.  Her face lit up like she would rather do that anyway.

We ended up going to DG to get a couple of kits.  I decided that I might as well get two just to eliminate the fighting, plus, I thought that Keelie would eat the candy and there wouldn't be any left to decorate.  The kits cost $10 each.  

Both kits had five different candies, one large bag of candy, 2four walls to the house, two pieces for the roof, and a piece of cardboard for the house to sit on.  I didn't think that there would be enough frosting, but when we were finished, I actually had some left over.


Roarie and Keelie had so much fun.  I was the one to put on all of the frostings but they helped put the walls and roof pieces together, and they put on the candy where ever they wanted too.  I was very surprised that Keelie did not eat any of the candy.  She licked her fingers a lot because she would get frosting on them.


The frosting was pretty good in consistency thickness ( and taste) It really didn't take long for the frosting to dry up to get the walls to stand and for the candy to stick without sliding off.
The girls did a great job with their gingerbread houses.  The whole project took us about an hour and a half.  Keelie's is on the left and Roarie's in on the right.

1 comment: